Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Finding Freedom


(l-r) Power of Self-alumni Jane Velton, Linda Bush and I, pose with Jet, Linda's 4-month-old colt. If it looks like the colt is nibbling on my arm that's because he was. Troy and I enjoyed a Fourth of July dinner at Linda Bush and Gary Anderson's ranch in Pilot Point this evening. Jane is a writer in the Dallas area and among the many things Linda does, she is a trainer of Brainstyles. What is your brainstyle?
After returning from the ranch, Troy, Sarah and I walked to the corner of Richmond and Abrahms to watch the Lakewood Country Club fireworks. As we sat on the sidewalk in front of the Glo Dry Cleaners, I thought about one of my favorite movies, Barry Levinson's Avalon released in 1990. I think I saw it in the theater that year. The opening words of the character Sam Krichinsky still whispers in my ears:
I came to America in 1914 - by way of Philadelphia. That's where I got off the boat. And then I came to Baltimore. It was the most beautiful place you ever seen in your life. There were lights everywhere! What lights they had! It was a celebration of lights! I thought they were for me, Sam, who was in America. Sam was in America! I didn't know what holiday it was, but there were lights. And I walked under them. The sky exploded, people cheered, there were fireworks! What a welcome it was, what a welcome!
Fireworks brings back memories of me working the Lions Club hot dog stand in front of Sikes Center Mall in Wichita Falls. Dad put us to work all day serving cokes and just about the time the fireworks began, the line for drinks ended and we peaked our heads out above the trailer's overhang to watch the explosions and the colors. It never lasted long enough and yet it seemed to last forever. And when it was over, the last wave of customers came through and then we got put on clean-up duty.
Tonight, watching the fireworks, the colors, the fire blooms, the explosions...it all still looks about the same as it did 20-25 years ago in the mall parking lot. The movie Avalon is a fictionalized-documentary about how a family changes as America changes in the 20th century. Each generation has to change and the pain of change brings about this life lesson: ultimately it is the freedom to change that makes life beautiful, even when our minds want us to fear change. (From Avalon: "You cut the turkey?!!)
The freedom to change -- it is a freedom granted to all of us. Creating the space for this freedom is the greatest gift God offers us ... find your space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In addition to Independence Day, another summer tradition that ties our youth to our older years is baseball. Barry Levison also directed the the best baseball movie ever made (and there have been many,many) -- 'The Natural'. If you have never seen it, you should. In addition to all its symbolism, it touches on many life lessons that most of us encounter at some point in our lives.