Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

And I'm Back


I wish I could say that I've been on vacation and that's why you have not received blog updates from me. It was not very nice of me to leave my faithful readers wondering if my sore throat had worsened these past 7 days and whether or not the Lord had called me home. Why else except death or kidnapping would I abandon my blog?


I'm not sure what has happened these past 7 days and why the blogs ran dry. My sore throat was gone by Thursday, then we had a non-stop weekend, and then my marathon training schedule kicked-in this past Monday. All that being said, I've been a tired little pup at night which is why I'm writing my blog here at work (shhh...don't tell Dr. Fiedler, my boss).


You've heard it here first and now you can hold me accountable to achieving my goal. I'm officially announcing my entrance into the big 26.2-mile race--the White Rock Marathon, Dec. 9, 2007. This will be my third marathon, Troy's second marathon, and my brother Eric's first marathon. Eric will be training at his home in Kansas City then flying-in for the weekend. This is his last big race before his 3rd child is born in February.


I think the past week has been a recalibration for me as I've incorporated marathon training into my life and as UrbanLife begins to take on more life. But it's all good.


I had the funniest dream last night--also my first remembered dream in the past week. Troy and I were at a conference that I was really enjoying. He asked me to go get him a glass of iced tea. I had to walk 5 miles to get the tea. It was given to me in a crystal iced-tea glass with plastic wrap over the top. On the walk back, I saw Matt Damon and Ben Affleck who invited me to their house. At their house, they showed me a man they had just killed (bizarre!!!). They wanted me to help them figure out what to do. I kept looking at the iced-tea, then Matt, then Ben, then the dead man, trying to figure out what to do. About that time, my alarm went off.


Here's my dream interpretation: Boundaries are good... Sometimes crazy things are packaged in such appealing packages and they can easily distract me from my calling and purpose. It's hard to see past appealing packages and realize that what's behind it is craziness and there's a time just to walk away. The iced-tea represents my calling and passion and one of the things that I love about Troy is that he encourages me everyday to go and do what I'm called to do, even on the days that I don't feel that called to my work. The dead man--all the dead-end things that try to keep me from staying focused on my calling. Why Matt and Ben--you just can't make something more enticing than attaching those two guys to it...they can even make a dead-man seem like a good option for where to spend my time.


So that's my story today...stay focused on what I'm here to do...and just do it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the other hand (you say yes; I say no),

• Where would Abraham be if he didn’t leave the boundaries of Ur?
• Where would David be if be stayed within the boundary of a shepherd?
• Where would Columbus be if he stayed within the boundaries of the ‘flat-world’?
• Where would Protestants be if they had stayed within the boundaries of the Roman Catholic Church?
• Where would the Wizard of Oz movie be if it stayed within the boundaries of black-and-white movies?
• Where would Picasso be if he colored only inside the lines?
• Where would Einstein be if he stayed within the boundaries of Newtonian Physics? (For that matter, where would Newton be if he stayed within the boundaries of finite math?)
• Where would Helen Keller be if she stayed within the boundaries of nothingness?
• Where would Dick Fosbury be if he stayed within the boundaries of jumping forward?
• Where would the Beatles be if they stayed within the boundaries of Pat Boone?
• Where would women be if they didn’t burn their bras (I mean) stayed within the boundaries of the household?
• Where would African-Americans be if Dr. King stayed within the boundaries of a church pastor?
• Where would we all be if Jesus stayed within the boundaries of the living?
• Where would you be if your dad had not gotten up the nerve to leave his safe place and ask your mom out?

How long could we make the list (key is to think outside the box)?

As for your dream, with respect to all the cast of characters, I would have no trouble making my choice – the iced tea!

Rick Oatman said...

Anonymous made some good points but what if Christ had taken the temptations the evil one offer him. Yes, Christ could have ruled the living world but He could had never conquered death. Boundries, personal responsbilties,and "my rights" are lifes big puzzle. No one has told me that walking with Christ would be easy.