Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Allow

That slight twinge of a scratch set in last night. Today, the twinge morphed into a "it's-starting-to-hurt-to-swallow" kind of feeling in my throat. I can hear the grandmother voice inside of me saying it's probably just allergies. Nonetheless, I spent 2006 building the white-night-in-shining-armor-blood-cells and this first hint of illness in more than a year is not a welcomed visitor.

Being a fan of homeopathy, I loaded the dog in the car to trek to CVS for the miracle product, Airborne. I have found this plop, plop-fizz, fizz mixture to be a great relief--for sore throats that is. I added a second secret weapon today: the Airborne Gummi Lozenge. The instructions on the side of the box read, "Allow one lozenge to dissolve slowly in mouth." The adverb "slowly" first caught my attention as if I had any control over how quickly this lozenge could dissolve in my mouth. It seems that "slowly" is more in the design of the product and less in the chemical make-up of my mouth. I can't control how "slowly" this will dissolve.

It drives me crazy that I can't control how things will happen around me, as in this case, how slowly things will happen in my mouth. I wish I could control more, you know, decide when this event should occur or that experience should happen. Am I control freak? I took an online, official test to see if I was a control freak and it came out that I'm a 24% Control Freak. (Okay, those of you who REALLY know me are laughing). By the way, the yoga pose used to illustrate my control nature is one of my favorite poses--it's a pose all about balance and letting go of control.

You Are 24% Control Freak

You have achieved the perfect balance of control and letting go.
You tend to roll with whatever life brings, but you never get complacent.
You can take the "Are You A Control Freak" too by clicking on the link above. But before you do and leave my blog, I want to go back to the instructions on the box of Airborne Gummi Lozenges. "Slowly" is not the key word in this sentence. The key word is "allow."
Allow one lozenge to dissolve slowly in mouth.
Allowing and accepting are close cousins. Both are good goal-verbs for me--allowing what is right now to be enough; allowing who I am to be enough; allowing those around me to be who they are and allowing that to be enough for me....and the big one, allowing God the space and time to make a new creation out of me. When I don't allow these things, I create tension in my life and overtime, it manifests in my body.
Enough allowing...Got to run -- the closing scene of Grease is on and you just can't help but to sing and dance along to "You're the One That I Want."

No comments: