Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Will he win?

It's 7:20 pm on Tuesday evening as I'm writing this blog post. That's important, because in 40 minutes I will find out if Cuban wins. See, I was home last week when Dancing with the Stars premiered and I got hooked. After one show, I feel tightly entwined with these famous people's lives to see if they win or not.

I had decided last week that I wasn't going to pull for Mark. I'm not sure on what basis except that I've often had to run on the treadmill at the gym while he sweats it out on the bike in front of me. That shouldn't be a reason not to cheer for the guy. But then last night, something changed and now I want him to win. He should at least beat Wayne Newton who looks like he might melt if he got too close to an open flame. It looks like the tipping point between Mark and Wayne, both at the bottom of the professional score, will be the public opinion poll taken last night by text, internet or phone. I came close to voting last night but I am a Verizon-girl, not AT&T, the official wireless company for Dancing with the Stars.

This past month has been interesting for me. Some changes (good changes--no need to call and check on me) have slowed me down and allowed me more time to partake in public entertainment, like television. It's been at least 2-3 years since I've watched prime time television so I kinda like knowing what the season premieres are this year and hurrying home (as if I have something important to do) to see who gets cut from this week's dance crowd.

So I may be watching a little more television, but it hasn't won me over yet. I still see such a major disconnect from how shows portray American life and how most people live. And the result of that disconnect is discontentment and that discontentment looks different in every person's life--but as a society, it tells us we are not enough -- that we need to be skinnier, pretty, funnier, hip-per, flashier and need to have more "dirty, sexy money." (the new ABC show).

I seek contentment and if I could find a television show that offered me contentment, then I would be a faithful fan. Until then, I'm content with waiting to find out if Cuban stays or goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the effect TV has had on our culture in my lifetime. (I'm an old guy -- so I mostly watch sports.) I do like to watch NCIS because of its great characters, especially Abby (Pauley Perrette), Ziva (Cote de Pablo) & Ducky (David McCallum -- you fellow oldies might remember him as 'Illya Kuryakin' in the old 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' TV show).

I don't watch any news -- the national media is controlled by a few giant corporations and the local news is just the same stories every night, with different people. Glimpses of real news may only be found from cable newscasters e.g., baseball guru Keith Olberman, Jack Cafferty, comedian Jon Stewart and fellow Texan Lou Dobbs (whose dad sold propane and propane accesories :)

Speaking of propane sales, I have to watch the animated 'King of the Hill' -- the take-off on life in Arlen (i.e, Garland) Texas. And of course the 'Simpsons' probably has the wittiest humor found on TV in the last decade.

And speaking of humor, 'Saturday Night Live' has surely stood the test of time. Amy Poehler is the current 'star', a comedian who gives 100%, much like Gilda Radner did on SNL in the 70's. I cannot stop laughing when she does her character 'Caitlin'. It currently has a nice mix of veteren cast members and some relatively new ones who are very good. e.g., Kristen Wiig & Jason Sudeikis (must see their skits as the 'a-hole couple').

But when all else fails, I can always find re-runs of the greatest TV show of all times, 'The Andy Griffith Show'. With all due respect to Carroll O'Conner, Don Knotts plays the greatest character in TV history -- Barney Fife! And to see the talent of little Ronnie Howard (Opie) reinforces his standing as one of our greatest movie directors.

Well, so much for my current thoughts on TV, think I'll go watch goofball David Letterman.

Mrs.Preppy said...

Your life will never be the same now that DWTS is in your life. Enjoy the addiction.

Anonymous said...

Good changes that have slowed you down ... hmmm let me think?