Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Saturday, March 1, 2008

What do I really want?

I love when two things are pushed beside each other in such a way that one makes sense of the other when you look a layer deep than what is on the surface. That happened for me yesterday on Leap Day. I was driving to this small jewelry shop in East Dallas to sell some jewelry that was past its day. I turned on the radio, and a woman had just won tickets to a concert where she would sit in the front row AND have the opportunity to meet the band backstage. This woman was very excited and thrilled and screaming into her phone across the radio, "Oh my gosh, this is the best thing that's ever happened in my life....this is all I ever wanted...I've wanted to meet them more than anything else in the world." I don't know what band she won tickets to, and, in a certain phase of my life (junior high) if I had won tickets to meet Jon Bon Jovi, I would have responded in kind to her.
The DJ congratulated her and commented on her enthusiastic response and told her to have a great time. And then the next song cued up. It probably wasn't on purpose, but it was one of those times when two things pushed up against make one not make much sense. The next song was Mercy Me's "I Can Only Imagine." Strange song for a secular radio station. I have always loved this song that projects what it will be like the day someone meets Jesus. I wonder if the woman who won the tickets, who said this is all she ever wanted, changed her mind just a little bit, listening to the words, "Surrounded by your glory, what will I feel...will I stand in your presence, or to my feet will I fall, or will I be able to speak at all?"
Now I know my clergy and religious friends who are a little cynical of pop Christian culture probably don't like this song. So much of this world is about that one person we all love the best, "I." And it is a little presumptuous to consider the day you meet Jesus and make it all about "me" and how "I" will feel. But there's some truth to this song, and when you listen to it at 11 am on a Friday morning after hearing a woman scream that winning band tickets is all she's ever wanted, it reminded me that there are higher things to crave in this life than the latest rock star. Like the kingdom of God. What if that's all that any of us ever wanted?

No comments: