Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Friday, January 11, 2008

My health insurance company

I got a call today from a dis-interested telemarketer who wanted to sign me up for a free program through my health insurance that allows me to have phone calls with a nurse every so often to evaluate my health. I told her I was not interested, and she tried to convince me why I should be interested. I told her again I was not interested, and she said, "If you verify your account I can at least explain to you why the claims department identified you for this program." What? The claims department is somehow concerned about my health??
I know how I got on their radar screen...I believe in regular chiropractic care for good spinal health. I see my doctor about once or twice a month, falling well below the $1000 yearly maximum for chiropractic treatments. I know that my insurance company would rather me not see my chiropractor on a regular basis. They would rather me talk to this nurse once a quarter so they can get insider information on my health status. But when you consider that my premium is somewhere between $7,000-8,000 A YEAR (Yes, because clergy fall in the lowest category of healthy professions and we are an aging group), I think they can swing less than a $1,000 for my healthy spine.
The Methodist Health Insurance is such a racket...not only is it super-expensive...if I added a child or spouse it would be about $6,000 each...I am also required by the Methodist Church to have the insurance AND my local church is required to pay for it. So if I chose to opt out of it because, say, my husband's policy only costs $2400/year, my local church would still have to pay for it. And let's not mention that with a $2400/year premium, that policy would have paid 100% of my maternity if it could have been my primary insurance whereas my $8,000 policy is only paying 80% of my maternity.
Okay, enough venting. I'm lucky to have health insurance. I'm lucky to have my company pay my health insurance (although my company gets ripped off). I'm lucky to be able to choose my health care provider.
But don't call me to sign me up for a free nurse program because the claims department has suddenly taken an interest in my good health.

8 comments:

JiM said...

Since you brought it up:)

Dennis Kucinich, democratic candidate for 2008, has developed a plan for single-pay, not for profit healthcare.

"The administration of the health care system today consumes approximately 31% of the money spent for health care. The potential savings, as much as $350 billion per year, are enough to provide comprehensive coverage to every American without paying any more than we already do.

In Congress, Representative Dennis Kucinich has co-authored HR 676, legislation which would establish Medicare for All - a universal, single-payer, not-for-profit health care system that leaves no American behind. "
(http://www.dennis4president.com/go/issues/a-healthy-nation/)

We are already paying for it. It is something that is desperately needed in this country. The insurance companies make all the money while people have to suffer or die because they don't have insurance.

Anonymous said...

I did not this about the chiropractor charges...hmmm, I think I'll go more regularly to the chiropractor just to annoy my insurance company...oh yea, it does make me feel better, too!
Thanks for tuning me into this!

Elle

Anonymous said...

"know"...I did not "know" this...lousy typist..

Doug said...

I wonder what people who do not have health insurance rant about?

JiM said...

funeral costs

Anonymous said...

Does the money someone puts in the collection plate go to pay for this health insurance that is 100% covered at no cost to church clergy? This would sort of be like the money someone pays in taxes that goes to make sure that elected government officials and government employees have access to good healthcare? So lets see here, it's possible that there are hard working, middle class Americans getting up and going to a job every day without benefits and yet their wages are still taxed to provide benefits for others and then its possible they give a portion of this income in the collection plate on any given Sunday so others again can have access to healthcare and healthcare providers (let alone visit the chiropractor every other week) - when they cannot.

I see how this could be so upsetting for someone - the possibility to pay some out-of-pocket expenses for the birth of a child. Perhaps that too is part of the dilema with modern healthcare in the U.S. - this entitlement mindset for it all to be covered with nothing paid for my the individual. Makes one wonder about the mothers giving birth at that little county hospital known as Parkland who are un or underinsured. Or, those waiting 10 or more hours for cancer treatments. Is it imaginable that they would like to have such problems - having to talk with some telemarketer from their insurance company (minimum wage earner no doubt - wonder if they have health insurance) and have primary insurance 100% paid and supplement insurance too? hmmmm.

JiM said...

debra,

If the current system is unfair, what is your solution? Universal healthcare? Elimination of employer health plans? In addition to criticizing situations, we all need to also work together to come up with solutions.

Personally, I believe we are all in this together and we need a system that works for both the have's and the have not's. In the long-run such efforts will lead to a better society that benefits all of us.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone who has posted a comment on this blog needs to go back and read it again...maybe twice. Every single one of you has completely missed the point of it.