Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Kathryn Ruth

As my newly discovered second cousin sends more photos of my mom's side of the family, I find myself without words looking at snapshots of time and places and faces that are so foreign to me and yet they are genetically a part of me. These people are part of my cellular structure. I never knew my maternal grandmother, Kathryn Ruth Varner Simonds. She died in 1970, 5 years before I was born. I carry her name...My full name is Kathryn Ruth.

This is a picture of her at the home of my great-grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Simonds (my grandfather's parents which would make this her in-laws house). On the porch is my mom. My great-grandparents lived in Carrollton, Illinois. I never knew that, but then again, there's lots of things I never knew about my family.

I wish this photo could talk. I wonder what this woman would say to me, the person who carried on her name. She has been such a dominant and driving force in my life even though she died 5 years before I was born. But it was her life, and her death, that has shaped my life for better and for worse. I am learning karmic lessons from this story that doesn't end with physical death. When I was a teenager, I had this vision in the middle of the night and I know that my grandmother came and talked with me about all kinds of life things. It is a vision that has comforted and supported me for many years.

A few years ago, at the home of my grandmother's sister, I learned some interesting stories about my grandmother, including her short love affair with a French fighter pilot preceding World War II. She met him when she was the librarian at Weatherford College. And it explains why in the Weatherford College yearbooks, the name Kathryn Fauviere was listed beneath her picture. What a woman to fall in love with a French fighter pilot. I only got to hear that story once that day, and no one else in the family will talk about it.

I wonder what this woman in the foreground would say to me today, an expectant mother. I wonder about this woman in the background...my mother.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you look just like your grandmother! What a neat photo.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how old family pictures look about the same in everyone's family. I assume this pic was sometime in the 50's and it looks just like the pics I have of my family in the 50's. Guess because it's black-and-white and the common styling of clothing, hair, cars, homes ...

Anonymous said...

I've always been intrigued by names -- I read about ten books on names before naming my sons. Because of your interest in etymology, you probably know the meanings of your names.

In fact, if you consider Kathryn Ruth Simonds-Self Ransdell, you get something like, 'the snub-nosed sea wolf from the river bank in the valley of the rams, ravens & wild garlic who is a pure and compassionate friend that listens attentively'

What you probably don't know is that there are 173 forms of the name Kathryn:

AIKATERINE   f   Greek
CADI   f   Welsh
CAELIE   f   English (Modern)
CAETLIN   f   English (Modern)
CAILEIGH   f   English (Modern)
CAILIN   f   English (Modern)
CAILYN   f   English (Modern)
CÁIT   f   Irish
CAITLÍN   f   Irish
CAITLIN   f   English
CAITLYN   f   English
CAITRIA   f   Irish
CAITRÍONA   f   Irish
CAITRÌONA   f   Scottish
CAJA   f   Danish
CAJSA   f   Swedish
CALEIGH   f   English (Modern)
CALLEIGH   f   English (Modern)
CAREN   f   English
CARIN   f   English
CARYN   f   English
CĂTĂLIN   m   Romanian
CĂTĂLINA   f   Romanian
CATALINA   f   Spanish
CATARINA   f   Italian, Portuguese, Galician
CATE   f   English
CATERINA   f   Italian, Catalan
CATHARINA   f   Dutch, Swedish
CATHARINE   f   English
CATHERIN   f   English
CATHERINA   f   Spanish
CATHERINE   f   English, French
CATHLEEN   f   Irish, English
CATHRIN   f   German
CATHRINE   f   Scandinavian
CATHRYN   f   English
CATHY   f   English
CÁTIA   f   Portuguese
CATINA   f   Romanian
CATO (2)   f   Dutch
CATRIN   f   Welsh, German
CATRINA   f   Irish, Scottish
CATRINE   f   Swedish
CATRIONA   f   Irish, Scottish
CAYLEY   f   English (Modern)
ECATERINA   f   Romanian
EKATERINA   f   Bulgarian, Macedonian, Russian
HECATE   f   Greek Mythology (Latinized)
JEKATERINA   f   Russian
KAARINA   f   Finnish
KADRI (1)   f   Estonian
KAE   f   English
KAELEA   f   English (Modern)
KAELEE   f   English (Modern)
KAETY   f   English
KAI (2)   f   Swedish
KAIA   f   Norwegian
KAIJA   f   Finnish
KAILEE   f   English (Modern)
KAILEY   f   English (Modern)
KAILYN   f   English (Modern)
KAISA   f   Finnish, Estonian
KAITLIN   f   English
KAITLYN   f   English
KAITLYNN   f   English
KAJ (2)   f   Swedish
KAJA (1)   f   Scandinavian
KAJSA   f   Swedish
KAKALINA   f   Hawaiian
KALEIGH   f   English (Modern)
KALENA   f   Hawaiian
KALEY   f   English (Modern)
KALIE   f   English (Modern)
KALYN   f   English (Modern)
KARA   f   English
KARAUGH   f   English (Modern)
KAREN (1)   f   Danish, Norwegian, German, English
KARENA   f   English
KARI (1)   f   Norwegian
KARIN   f   Swedish, German, Dutch, Finnish
KARINA   f   Polish, Russian, German
KARYN   f   English
KARYNA   f   English (Modern)
KASIA   f   Polish
KAT   f   English
KATA   f   Hungarian, Finnish
KATALIN   f   Hungarian, Basque
KATARIINA   f   Finnish, Estonian
KATARIN   f   Breton
KATARÍNA   f   Slovak
KATARINA   f   German, Swedish, Hungarian, Croatian, Serbian, Slovene, Lithuanian
KATARINE   f   German
KATARZYNA   f   Polish
KATE   f   English
KATEE   f   English
KATELIJN   f   Dutch
KATELIJNE   f   Dutch
KATELIN   f   English
KATELL   f   Breton
KATELYN   f   English
KATELYNN   f   English (Modern)
KATENKA   f   Russian
KATERI   f   History
KATEŘINA   f   Czech
KATERINA   f   Macedonian, Russian, Bulgarian, Greek
KATERYNA   f   Ukrainian
KATEY   f   English
KATHARINA   f   German
KATHARINE   f   German, English
KATHARYN   f   English
KÄTHE   f   German
KATHERINA   f   English, German
KATHERINE   f   English
KATHERYN   f   English
KATHERYNE   f   English
KATHI   f   English
KATHIE   f   English
KATHLEEN   f   Irish, English
KATHLYN   f   English
KATHRIN   f   German
KATHY   f   English
KATI   f   Finnish, Hungarian
KATIA   f   Russian
KATICA   f   Slovene
KATIE   f   English
KATINA   f   Greek
KATINKA   f   German
KATJA   f   German, Slovene
KATLYN   f   English
KATÓ   f   Hungarian
KATRI   f   Finnish
KATRIEN   f   Dutch
KATRIINA   f   Finnish
KATRIJN   f   Dutch
KATRIN   f   German, Swedish
KATRINA   f   English, German, Swedish, Dutch
KATRINE   f   Scandinavian, Dutch
KATRIONA   f   English
KATY   f   English
KATYA   f   Russian
KAY (1)   f   English
KAYE   f   English
KAYLA (1)   f   English
KAYLEAH   f   English (Modern)
KAYLEE   f   English
KAYLEEN   f   English (Modern)
KAYLEIGH   f   English (Modern)
KAYLEY   f   English (Modern)
KAYLIE   f   English (Modern)
KAYLIN   f   English (Modern)
KAYLY   f   English (Modern)
KAYLYN   f   English (Modern)
KAYLYNN   f   English (Modern)
KEIGHLEY   f   English (Modern)
KEILA   f   English (Modern)
KIT   m & f   English
KITTI   f   Hungarian
KITTY   f   English
KOTRYNA   f   Lithuanian
NIENKE   f   Frisian
NINE   f   Frisian
RAYNA (2)   f   Yiddish
REINA (2)   f   Yiddish
RIINA   f   Finnish, Estonian
RÍONA   f   Irish
TAYLA   f   English (Modern)
TINA   f   English, Italian, Slovene, Dutch
TINEKE   f   Dutch
TRIINU   f   Estonian
TRIJNTJE   f   Dutch
TRINA   f   English
TRINE   f   Danish
YEKATERINA   f   Russian

Did anyone ever spell your name wrong?