Hungry for the latest blog post? Here is your Feed...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

With a Little Help From My Friends

I woke this morning with such deep gratitude for the people in my life. It's not easy hanging with me and all of my idiosyncrasies. This past weekend, as I received significant news within our family, the presence of my friends was like a cool front in the middle of August--grace in the midst of the reality of life. And it's the small way of being a friend that make life doable--like making the sacrifice to eat cheese fries at 9 pm with your friend just because comfort food was in order even though it is nowhere in your own nutritional plan.

I have lots of friends who were friends during a certain time of life. I admit that I am not the best at keeping up with friends (which is one of my idiosyncrasies) and I am thankful that those kinds of people who know this about me and yet still find some value in being around me exist. Because I'm not sure if I could exist without them.

I have always loved how Jesus told his peeps that they were friends...."I no longer call you strangers but friends." Jesus called his disciples to follow him. Before he called them, did they know each other or even have knowledge of each other? Here is this group of people who may not have known each other before they left everything to follow. And when it came to the end of their time together, they ate dinner together just like every other day. Jesus was sitting with them, and they were reminiscing about their work together, how they had walked 100s of miles healing people and casting out demons, scraping together food on a limited budget and then he interrupts the conversation and says, "Hey guys, we're friends."

Jesus could not have been Jesus without the people who were around him.

And my thought is that this is true still today. That Jesus can not be Jesus without the people who are around him. And even though it's a different time, I still like to think of Jesus looking at me and saying, "Hey, we're friends."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

go to:

http://it.geocities.com/giocchi27/h1a.jpg

"aaah cheese fries"

Anonymous said...

I have found myself in a situation that has made me so greatful for my circle of friends. And that circle is larger that I thought. Knowing there are people who care will help me face what lies ahead. Thanks for helping me realize this. And life is also more bearable when reminded that Jesus is a friend. It makes him more human to me when I really need him.

Anonymous said...

When youre down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, whoa nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name,
And you know whereever I am
Ill come running, oh yeah baby
To see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall,
All you have to do is call
And Ill be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Youve got a friend.

If the sky above you
Should turn dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind should begin to blow
Keep your head together and call my name out loud
And soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
Ill come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And Ill be there, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Hey, aint it good to know that youve got a friend?
People can be so cold.
Theyll hurt you and desert you.
Well theyll take your soul if you let them.
Oh yeah, but dont you let them.

You just call out my name and you know wherever I am
Ill come running to see you again.
Oh babe, dont you know that,
Winter spring summer or fall,
Hey now, all youve got to do is call.
Lord, Ill be there, yes I will.
Youve got a friend.
Youve got a friend.
Aint it good to know youve got a friend.
Aint it good to know youve got a friend.
Youve got a friend.

James Taylor

Anonymous said...

James Taylor's 'You've Got A Friend' was written by the great songwriter, Carole King.

To see them playing together, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUzgToWoA-U

Anonymous said...

Carole King is one of the greatest women singer-songwriters. And now the best young woman singer-songwriter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ25-glGRzI&feature=dir

Anonymous said...

girl does a great cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg-ZTuqYkXI&mode=related&search=

Anonymous said...

This Avril Lavigne song really sounds like it could be a Carole King Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NyMEhGmkbg

Anonymous said...

another video, 'With A Little Help From My Friends'

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8432287236507148633&q=beatles+%27little+help+from+my+friends%27&total=211&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5